Thursday, August 16, 2012

SOS – Myanmar (Burma)


As I have maintained throughout, in my role at CAI - take one step towards the cause of Allah (S), HE takes ten towards you; guaranteed. All last week I am in tummy knots; will my attempts to help the Rohingya victims in Myanmar be successful, will I accomplish my mission? After several frustrating attempts, I land today in Yangon, Myanmar and am happy to report my prayers have been more than answered!

My first task, that of starting construction of first ever mosque / hawza in Phnom Penh, Cambodia is a winner; in Singapore, I meet up with key people who will supervise actual construction of Cambodia project and it is all clear to begin immediately after Ramadhan insha’Allah. More importantly, I am successful in bringing some relief to the suffering Rohingya community of Myanmar (Burma), insha’Allah.

Keeping local politics aside, for there are some ugly realities we have to accept, this Rohingya community is in terrible agony and need our support. They are humans; and Muslims, who have gone through terrible times and now languish in no-man’s land, stripped of so little they possessed and now their dignity as well. I will insha’Allah cover all details of complex and revealing issues in my next Blog, coming up shortly.

There are people on the ground in Myanmar, good people, Allah fearing people who have banded together to assist in our relief mission in a transparent and accountable manner. CAI is spearheading a relief convoy for these victims, very soon insha’Allah. Each deserving family will receive the following:

A mosquito net.
Water purifying pills.
Hygiene essentials  - soap etc.
Dry food items – daal, rice, sugar, tea.
Cooking oil.

These supplies will last a family about 4 – six weeks insha’Allah. CAI will support 770 families at US$32 per family; we need to raise US$25,000 for this project. All this efforts are undertaken legally, with approval from Myanmar government, admin cost free and believe you me, it is a lot of work.

CAI appeals to all of you, please help if you can. Allah forbid, if we were to ever be in a similar situation, it would be good to know other people care. Please donate or pledge whatever you can at www.comfortaid.org. I am cognizant we have just completed our Ramadhan Iftaar drive; all we can do is try to help with whatever we can spare.

May Allah (S), in His mercy and wisdom, give some peace to these hapless people who are innocent and in desperate need of our assistance.

Allah bless.

No comments: